What is White Tea?
White tea is known to be one of the most delicate tea varieties because it is so minimally processed. White tea is harvested before the tea plant’s leaves open fully, when the young buds are still covered by fine white hairs, hence the name “white” tea.
These buds and unfurled leaves from the newest growth on the tea plant are handpicked and then quickly and meticulously dried, so the leaves are not allowed to oxidize as long as leaves plucked for green or black tea production. This minimal processing and low oxidation results in some of the most delicate and freshest tea available.
White Tea Benefits:
Similar to green tea the health benefits of white tea include a reduced risk of cancer and cardiovascular disorders. Many people ask if white tea is caffeinated? While white tea does have caffeine, white tea caffeine content is much less as compared to any other tea. As white tea is less processed, it retains more antioxidants than even green tea.
Here is a summary of the benefits of White Tea:
- It’s Rich in Antioxidants. White tea is packed with polyphenols called catechins, which have antioxidant benefits. They help reduce chronic inflammation by protecting the body against damage from free radicals.
- May Reduce the Risk of Heart Disease. Polyphenols like those found in white tea may help relax blood vessels, boost immunity and prevent bad cholesterol from becoming oxidized. These factors may help lower the risk of heart disease.
- Could Help You Lose Weight. White tea is a good source of caffeine and catechins like EGCG. These two compounds may have a synergistic effect that helps the body burn fat and boost metabolism. It is excellent to drink after a heavy meal to aid your digestion.
- Help Protect Your Teeth from Bacteria. White tea is a great source of fluoride, catechins and tannins. Several studies have shown that these compounds can help fight bacteria that cause plaque on teeth.
- May Help Combat Skin Aging. White tea and its compounds may protect the skin from damage linked to aging. This includes external damage from the sun’s UV rays and internal damage from cellular components that may harm the skin’s fiber network.
- May Help Protect Against Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s Diseases. EGCG, which is found in white tea, has been linked with a lower risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases. EGCG may help fight inflammation and prevent proteins from clumping and damaging nerves, two conditions linked with these disorders.
- Has Compounds That May Fight Cancer
Tea plays an important role in Classical Chinese Herbology. Here are some of the benefits that were discovered:
- Harmonizes the stomach, treating generalized discomfort of the digestive tract, such as nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
- Aids in removing excess fat from the blood.
- Revives the spirit, clears the head, clears heat. Can aid in weight loss.
At Resource Vitality, we source our tea from the Tao of Tea, who in turn works closely with small farmers and cooperatives to bring to you a fantastic collection of beguiling teas. Our current White Tea selection includes the following:
(**Please Note: Due to Covid 19 supply chain disruption, these teas are currently our of stock.)
You will find all of these very fine teas in our shop. We encourage you to explore the varietals of White Tea. Delight your senses! Enhance your well being!